Burley-in-Wharfedale Methodist Church exists to be a people of worship:
- Enabling people to deepen their relationship with God in Christ.
- Encouraging people to develop strong, healthy relationships of Christian love with others.
- Engaging with our local community in order to build relationships and offer God’s love.
- Expressing practical love and concern for those who are marginalised or who suffer because of injustice or poverty.
Our mission is “To know Jesus Christ and to make his love known.”
This mission will be demonstrated through:
- A diversity of worship forms which are accessible to all.
- A focus on the spiritual development of every person in contact with the church.
- The creation of a positive culture of lifelong learning and discipleship.
- The sharing of the good news of Christ’s love for all.
- Being a safe and welcoming community for all.
- The use of the facilities of the Church for developing a strong sense of community.
- Outreach to the people of the village through service and evangelism.
- Action on behalf of those suffering injustice in the wider world.
- Consideration of environmental sustainability in decisions about the use of financial resources and the development of the church building.
- The development of partnerships within the Methodist Circuit and with other local churches and community groups.
- Promoting work with families, children and young people in every area of our life and witness as a church.
It is the role of the church council, operating through its church teams, to ensure that this Mission Statement influences the whole life and mission of the Church. The Church Council will prayerfully review this statement annually to seek God’s guidance for our future life and mission.